Forum search
Search

Search filters:

tell me about your job :)
 Forum IndexEverything else → tell me about your job :)Create new post
school assistent at a special ed department at a high school

pretty interesting work, every day is different and there is also a lot of time a fairly chill job. going on hikes, watching movies, keeping an eye out for them while they sleep etc.

but we also have a lot of students who act out, have epilepsi or other difficult behavior. it can be stressful and challenging, but i feel like i have enough energy to handle this while i'm young. definitely couldn't do this for the rest of my life.
Advertisement
ARB wrote:
yeah but it's very intense. I had 72h free over christmas then we studied the rest of the year with no time off (we were in school on weekends, summer, holidays etc). We had 100% theory for 18 months but also planned and flew 250h during that time.We took over 85 tests and read 14 courses! So my normal was about 12-16h of studying/day, 7 days per week for 18 months hehe

Then I worked 100% for an airline office, but also had to have another job alongside ultimately ending up working 170%, and after that it was back to studing like I did the first 18 months but for 5 more months.

So for it to be healthy I think it would have to be over 4-5 years, but it's also made to be like that to make sure you can handle it!
wow, that's intense. you can be very proud of yourself that you managed to handle all that
ARB wrote:
yeah but it's very intense. I had 72h free over christmas then we studied the rest of the year with no time off (we were in school on weekends, summer, holidays etc). We had 100% theory for 18 months but also planned and flew 250h during that time.We took over 85 tests and read 14 courses! So my normal was about 12-16h of studying/day, 7 days per week for 18 months hehe

Then I worked 100% for an airline office, but also had to have another job alongside ultimately ending up working 170%, and after that it was back to studing like I did the first 18 months but for 5 more months.

So for it to be healthy I think it would have to be over 4-5 years, but it's also made to be like that to make sure you can handle it!
Oh wow, that sounds stressy.
Sorry to ask shortly: You have been trained / educated as an airline pilot and you worked in addition while you got training?
Chella wrote:
school assistent at a special ed department at a high school

pretty interesting work, every day is different and there is also a lot of time a fairly chill job. going on hikes, watching movies, keeping an eye out for them while they sleep etc.

but we also have a lot of students who act out, have epilepsi or other difficult behavior. it can be stressful and challenging, but i feel like i have enough energy to handle this while i'm young. definitely couldn't do this for the rest of my life.
do you already know what you could do as an alternative when it gets too much for you?
centaurianis wrote:
So, I just post what I do as an HSE specialist
leading HSE for a production & test site (including HV test lab up to 400kV; impulse & current tests, altering, bending & NDT tests, etc.), STEM-related topics are a huge part of the job. I started in HSE some years ago, but have my current job now since 1. Dec 2022.

Besides understanding our products* and the detailed process how they are manufactured, tested, delivered, assembled at the customers site - it's my job to ensure and environmental, safety and health regulations & improve them to the best practice. So in short: adhere to law, check if we are okay with REACH / RoHS regulations, etc.

*We produce varistor blocks, futher they're processed to fully assembled AIS & GIS (air insulated surge arresters and gas isolated surge arresters - containing SF6 gas).

Ensuring safe and environmental friendly ways of working requires a deep collaboration with other teams based on or off site, such as R&D, technology & HV dept., maintenance and with the local management.
It is essential, since upgrading safety levels, i.e. of a high voltage lab require not only regulatory ISO knowledge, but also mathematical and physical knowlegde - to know what to do and what not. Furthermore, I am in charge to approve modifications on diverse types of machines, changes to them and also new ones - which also require technical knowledge according the machinery-regulation 2006/42/EG. Also, checks, processes, inc
ident investigations and reporting belongs to my job - and some more stuff. :)
Yeah, and of course tracking KPI's, incident statistics and so on. :D


And this was the short version.
So nice to see other women in HSE technics!

I coordinate HSE projects
eventually. wrote:
that sounds like you need to know a lot of things
Partly yes, but specific topics are covered by experts (either internal ones like engineers or external ones). It is not possible to cover everything.
Another friend to have and to know is: Google in specific cases.
centaurianis wrote:
Oh wow, that sounds stressy.
Sorry to ask shortly: You have been trained / educated as an airline pilot and you worked in addition while you got training?
When I got my initial license/training I didn't have time to work because all time went to studying. Then I moved to Oslo for a 6 months internship (working full time without payment) and we had problems with our study loans so didn't get any money, so had so work alongside. Then the last 5-6 months of training was with my airline to I got paid a normal salary whilst in training
I work in social health care. I take care of patients who aren't ready to get home from the hospital just yet.

What fulfills me is taking my time for each patient, figuring out what they need from me. Some need me to be fun, playful, while others need me to be calm, listening and caring. I love how every patient needs a different side of me.

I love taking my time to listen to my patients and ask about what they're feeling, and thinking. For example, today I sat on the edge of the bed, listening to an older man, talking about how his life was soon going to end.
My job gives me anxiety, depression, I have no self worth, I'm dying inside and I'm underpaid. Yaaaaay
eventually. wrote:
do you already know what you could do as an alternative when it gets too much for you?
yes i am studying to become a teacher actually! i don't really know how i feel about that tho, from what i'm seeing and hearing, the school system is pretty fucked and it all falls on the teachers. so, i might end up switching over to something else at some point, but i really like working with kids and teenagers, and i have a real passion for education.
Synthesis wrote:
So nice to see other women in HSE technics!

I coordinate HSE projects
Oh my god, so so happy too see another HSE specialist / coordinator / technician!
You got a
Remara wrote:
My job gives me anxiety, depression, I have no self worth, I'm dying inside and I'm underpaid. Yaaaaay
oh :( what about looking for something that's better for your mental health?
ARB wrote:
I'm working as an airline pilot!

I love it, and wouldn't do anything other than aviation. It has taught me soooo much about myself, about discipline, my limits, stress but also about lot's of cool technical stuff. I love the views, I love getting to meet so many different kinds of people, love being able to somewhat explore the world. Also I have gotten a new respect for speed and how thoroughly some things have to be done to be safe!
Sorry but how do you have time to be on gsm? lmaaaoooo
ARB wrote:
When I got my initial license/training I didn't have time to work because all time went to studying. Then I moved to Oslo for a 6 months internship (working full time without payment) and we had problems with our study loans so didn't get any money, so had so work alongside. Then the last 5-6 months of training was with my airline to I got paid a normal salary whilst in training
Oh wow, huge respect!
This must have been an intense time for you! Glad you made it to the airline pilot.
Remara wrote:
Sorry but how do you have time to be on gsm? lmaaaoooo
haha well right now I'm just working full time for my airline, so those years of intense studying are already past me thankfully! So now I have more free time than the normal 9-5 person have! (we have 14 days off per month hihi)

But thinking of finishing my bachelor in aviation alongside work next semester just because I miss studying a but hehe
ARB wrote:
haha well right now I'm just working full time for my airline, so those years of intense studying are already past me thankfully! So now I have more free time than the normal 9-5 person have! (we have 14 days off per month hihi)

But thinking of finishing my bachelor in aviation alongside work next semester just because I miss studying a but hehe
That sounds great!
But you must have a higher amount of free time since your work hours are irregular and of course since the job requires extreme high safety and security standards.
May I ask what kind of aircraft you're flying? Or what's your favorite?
And omg (no, I have already 348394x questions ): Are you flying long- or short range?
In a grocery store when i’m not in school. I know I would thrive in that job for the rest of my life but education will take me a completely different way so I really try to hold on to it for as long as possible :/
Submarino wrote:
I work in social health care. I take care of patients who aren't ready to get home from the hospital just yet.

What fulfills me is taking my time for each patient, figuring out what they need from me. Some need me to be fun, playful, while others need me to be calm, listening and caring. I love how every patient needs a different side of me.

I love taking my time to listen to my patients and ask about what they're feeling, and thinking. For example, today I sat on the edge of the bed, listening to an older man, talking about how his life was soon going to end.
Huge respect!
This job requires so so many personal and calm aspects. <3
I can imagine it is not always that easy and that some situations can be very triggering.
Thank you for this.
centaurianis wrote:
That sounds great!
But you must have a higher amount of free time since your work hours are irregular and of course since the job requires extreme high safety and security standards.
May I ask what kind of aircraft you're flying? Or what's your favorite?
And omg (no, I have already 348394x questions ): Are you flying long- or short range?
Replying to both your comments here

Thank you, I'm super proud and that's also why it taught me so much about discipline! It's been horrible but also wouldn't change it for the world as I now love my job!

Yeah exactly, we work lot's of strange hours, long days and also weekends, holidays etc so it's a must
I'm flying the "Boeing 737-800NG" right now, hoping to get trained in the MAX8 for next summer My fave must be the B747-8000 or the B777

hihi I love to talk about it as it's my biggest passion in life so ask away
I'm flying short haul, I fly for norwegian and right now mainly fly within norway, but occasionally we fly to southern europe and back as well, giving us some longer flights
i'm working in a ice cream parlour, i'm 15 so not really many options yet, but i really like it there :)